Yields: 4 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 1 Hr 10 Mins Total Time: 1 Hr 25 Mins
This is a delicious nutrient rich and low in fat chicken curry. Popeye would love this dish!
- Place the spinach in a bowl and sprinkle with salt, add boiling water and leave for 2-3 minutes. Drain well. Place half of the spinach into a food processor and blend to a smooth puree, add a splash of water if needed. Finely chop the remaining spinach and set aside.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan over a low heat, add the ghee or butter and cook until it turns to a light brown colour, do not let it burn. Add the bay leaves, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon and cumin seeds and fry for a minute.
- Add the sliced onion and increase the heat to medium fry for 6-8 minutes stirring occasionally until the onion is light golden brown. Add the garlic, ginger and green chillies to the pan and fry for 2 minutes then add the chilli powder, turmeric and coriander. Fry for a further 30 seconds and then stir in the chopped tomatoes. Cook for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes then reduces the heat and cover the pan with a lid. Simmer gently for 30 minutes until the chicken is tender, add water if the pan is too dry.
- Add the pureed and chopped spinach and the garam masala to the pan and stir well. Re-cover and cook for another 8-10 minutes, season to taste. Serve immediately with warm flatbreads or basmati rice. Enjoy!