Category: Baking Days, Comfort Food, Picnic Time, Pie Time
Cooking Method: Baking
Yields: 6 Servings Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 20 Mins Cook Time: 1 Hr Total Time: 1 Hr 20 Mins
A rich & hearty pie packed full of flavour. It is very easy to make with pantry ingredients – it brings back memories of childhood. Delicious!
- For the filling, melt the butter with the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the onion, celery, carrots and potatoes. Cook on a low heat for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are softened, stirring regularly. The carrots should have a little bite.
- Add the ketchup, marmite, Worcestershire sauce and stir into the vegetables for a few seconds before adding the corned beef. Break the beef into chunky pieces with a wooden spoon and mix with the vegetables.
- Season with pepper and remove from the heat. Leave to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas mark 5.
- Roll out the short crust pastry onto a well-floured work surface and use it to line a 23cm pie dish. Leave any excess pastry overhanging the edge. Brush the pastry edge lightly with the egg.
- Empty the filling into the pastry base and spread it out evenly. Flour the surface once more and roll out the puff pastry. Lift the rolled pastry over the rolling pin and place gently over the filling. Press the edges firmly together then trim neatly. Seal the edge with a fork.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the remaining beaten egg, cut a cross in the centre of the pie and place onto a baking tray. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden-brown and the filling is piping hot. Great served hot or cold, enjoy!
Lovely pie I made mine using all short crust pastry top and bottom,very cheap meal, very tasty.
So pleased you enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!
Made this for the family and they all loved it. Will definitely make again.
Hi Steve, I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed it – it is a delicious recipe! Thank you 🙂
Made the pie in a long fluted baking pan. An excellent result, very tasty. Everyone loved it
I am so please that you enjoyed the pie – thank you very much for the feedback 🙂
Excellent pie, will be a regular tea from now on. We all loved it, so did mum and dad, reminded them of when they were growing up. Made a dinner of it with veg and gravy. Yummy
Thank you so much for the feedback. I am so pleased you all enjoyed it. It so reminds me of childhood meals at my grandparents 😀