Yields: 15 Servings Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 30 Mins Cook Time: 2 Hr Total Time: 2 Hr 30 Mins
This Christmas cake pulls out all the stops, it is rich in dried fruits housed in a decadent chocolate and spiced batter. Dense, flavourful, with hints of cinnamon and mixed spice.
- Place all the dried fruit into a large bowl and add the brandy. Stir well and leave to soak overnight.
- Put the butter, sugar, chocolate, vanilla, treacle and soaked dried fruits into a large saucepan. Heat gently until everything has melted together and is fully combined.
- Preheat oven to 150°C/130°C fan/gas mark 2. Line a deep loose bottomed cake tin, 23cm round or 20cm square, with baking parchment.
- In a bowl mix the flour, almonds, cocoa and spices together. Stir the eggs into the slightly cooled chocolate mixture in the saucepan, followed by the flour mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1 ½ hrs - 1 ¾ hours or until a skewer poked in comes out clean. Cool in the tin, once cooled remove from the tin and wrap in greaseproof paper and store in an air-tight container until ready to decorate. Enjoy!