Yields: 4 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 3 Hr 30 Mins Total Time: 3 Hr 45 Mins
A fuss-free delicious Sunday roast with crispy crackling, the pork is so succulent and meltingly tender! It is a perfect match for the winter vegetables and apple & sage sauce!
- Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan/Gas Mark 3. Rub scored rind of pork with vinegar and salt, massaging well. Place the apples, sage and onion into roasting dish and pour over cider. Place rack over apple mix and lay pork belly on top, skin side up. Roast for 3 hours.
- After 1½ hours, spread parsnips, carrots, potatoes, thyme and garlic on baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and melted butter, season with salt and pepper to taste and toss well to combine. Place vegetables on lower rack of oven and cook with pork, tossing occasionally. (if the cider sauce is evaporating too much add some water).
- After the 3 hours, increase temperature to 230°C/210°C fan/ Gas Mark 8. Cook for a further 20 to 30 minutes until crackling is crispy and vegetables are golden.
- Remove from oven and place the vegetables in a dish and keep warm. Rest the pork on a board for 15 minutes. Remove the rack and mash apples with mustard using fork so that it comes together but is still chunky. Pour sauce into jug. (If your crackling is not crispy enough pop it under a grill on full heat, this will only take 2-3 minutes so keep an eye on it).
- To serve slice the pork into portions and serve with slow-roasted winter vegetables and apple sauce. Enjoy!