Yields: 4 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 50 Mins Total Time: 1 Hr
Cheesy Parmesan mashed potato resting on a layer of sausages, mushrooms, smoky bacon and onions in a rich red wine gravy – this truly is the ULTIMATE sausage pie!
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the sausages and brown all over, remove from the pan and set aside. Add the bacon and the mushrooms to the pan, fry until golden and set aside with the sausages.
- Add the butter to the pan with the onion and cook until softened and golden. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, add the flour and stir through for a further minute.
- Return the sausages and mushrooms to the pan. Now add the wine and let it reduce by half. Add the stock and bring to the boil, cover and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for 25 minutes. For the final 5 minutes stir in the redcurrant jelly and uncover.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in salted water for about 15 minutes until tender. Drain well and return to the pan to mash, add the butter, milk or cream, Parmesan and season to taste.
- Preheat the grill to high. Place the sausage stew into a large pie dish. Heap with the hot creamy mash and sprinkle with Parmesan. Place under the grill until golden. Serve with seasonal vegetable, enjoy!