Yields: 10 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 15 Mins Total Time: 30 Mins
These have to be the best cheese scones I have ever tasted. The perfect savoury scone – best eaten warm spread with lots of butter!
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/Gas mark 7 and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Sieve the flour and other dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and then rub in the butter.
- Stir in the cheese, then gradually add the milk and egg to get a soft dough, don't add all the milk if the dough is starting to get too wet.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm thick. Use a 5cm cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk and add a sprinkling of cheese on each scone. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with lashing of butter, enjoy!