Category: Baking Days, Cooking with Kids, Picnic Time
Cooking Method: Baking
Yields: 16 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 2 Hr Cook Time: 30 Mins Total Time: 2 Hr 30 Mins
Decadent, delicious and delectable; bring back memories of childhood with this favourite. Sweet heaven in a square!
For the base
- For the topping
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas mark 5.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar and butter to form a dough. Press the dough into a 23cm square tin and bake for 20 minutes, set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile make the topping, place the condensed milk, butter and sugar into a large pan and bring to the boil. Bring the pan to a gentle boil for 5 minutes stirring continuously so that the mixture dies not stick.
- Pour the topping over the shortbread and place in the fridge to set.
- When the topping is set prepare the chocolate. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and pour over the topping.
- Place in the fridge to set and cut into square, enjoy!
This is just the best recipe yet for millionaires shortbread….foolproof! A little tip to get the chocolate nice and even is after pouring and spreading the chocolate over the chilled caramel, bang the tray several times onto a folded tea towel on a hard work surface. This levels out the chocolate and gets rid of any ‘bubbles’. Heat your knife in hot water before slicing to prevent the chocolate breaking or even scour the semi set chocolate to make cutting easy when fully set. Gorgeous, thank you.
I am so pleased you enjoyed the recipe. Thank you so much for the tips too. Have a wonderful week! Victoria