Yields: 8 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 10 Mins Total Time: 20 Mins
This has to be my favourite Pancake recipe, they are delicious. Add your favourite topping or just go classic!
- To serve
- To make the pancakes, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Whisk the egg, egg yolk, caster sugar and rum into the milk, then add gradually to the flour, whisking until smooth, without over-beating. Stir in the 2tbsp melted butter.
- Melt a little extra butter in a 15cm non-stick frying pan.
- Add a small ladleful of the batter, tilting the pan to help it to spread thinly. Cook for 1-2 min until golden, then use a palette knife to turn (or flip) and cook for 1 min until golden brown.
- Loosely roll the pancake and keep it warm while you make the remaining pancakes. Mix the lemon zest and caster sugar together, sprinkle it over the pancakes, and serve with lemon wedges.
- To get rid of lumps, whisk briefly with a hand whisk or strain through a sieve.
- Don’t overwork the batter and you won’t need to rest it.
- To get fine, lacy pancakes, add only enough batter barely to cover the base of the pan.
- To get really crisp edges, add a tiny bit less still — so that even when you tilt the frying pan to swirl the batter, it doesn’t quite reach the sides.
- And remember, the first one you make will always be a bit dodgy.