Yields: 10 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 50 Mins Total Time: 1 Hr 5 Mins
This is a very simple cake to make but is also one of the most irresistible – if I was you I would make two!
- The topping
- Preheat oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4.
- Mix together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then add the eggs one at a time. Slowly mixing altogether and then sift in the flour and add the lemon zest and mix until well combined.
- Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level with a spoon.
- Place in the preheated oven for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Whilst the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the lemon juice and sugar to make the drizzle. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle - the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. Enjoy!
- Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Give the cake a summery flavour by serving with tangy crème fraiche and summer berries such as blueberries, raspberries and blackcurrants.