These Scotch Eggs are absolutely delicious and are so easy to make. Mr. Crumb sage & onion stuffing is handmade with sautéed onions and Irish butter which gives these Scotch Eggs an amazing taste! Perfect for picnics!
- In a large bowl mix together the Mr.Crumb stuffing and sausage meat, season to taste.
- Meanwhile boil the eggs placing them in a pan of boiling water and cooking them for 6 minutes (runny yolk) 10 minutes (hard boiled). Cool them in cold water and peel them under the water.
- To assemble, place a sheet of cling film on a board, put a ball of stuffing & sausage meat on top and flatten enough to cover the whole egg. Place an egg in the middle, then draw up the ends of the cling film and massage the sausage meat to cover the egg evenly. Repeat this with the rest of the eggs.
- Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs on three separate plates. One at a time roll each Scotch egg in the flour, then dip into the egg and then into the breadcrumbs to cover. Repeat this with the rest of the eggs. Now place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- In a deep-fryer heat the oil to 170°C, test the oil is ready by dropping in a piece of bread. If the oil sizzles and the bread turns golden in less than a minute the oil is ready. Place the Scotch eggs into the oil and fry for 5-6 minutes or until evenly browned. Fry in batches and keep them warm in a low oven.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Enjoy!
- If serving cold, cool the Scotch Egg to chill temperatures (less than 4oC) within 90 minutes after cooking, keep refrigerated and use within 24hours.
Mr. Crumb is an artisan food producer located in the small rural village of Finea, County Westmeath in Irelands luscious green lakelands. A family run business, started back in 1996 and famous for their internationally award winning stuffing. The stuffings are cooked by hand in small batches using Irish butter from grass fed cows.
www.mrcrumb.ie they are available in Sainsburys, Morrisons and Asda
I have been commissioned by Mr. Crumb to create this recipe and share this blog post with you here on my website. All thoughts and opinions are my own and I only endorse products I genuinely would recommend to you.