Yields: 8 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 1 Hr Total Time: 1 Hr 15 Mins
Wow, this is now my new favourite cake! It is very easy to make and just so scrummy – it won’t last long. I made it with plums from my garden, luckily there are a lot more plums to pick.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas mark 4 and grease a 900g loaf tin.
- Place the flour, butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract into a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer for 5 minutes until pale and creamy – this mixture is very thick.
- Spoon a third of the cake mixture into the tin, and scatter with 50g of the plums. Now spoon over another third of the mixture and spread out, scatter over another 50g of the plums. Then spoon the remaining cake mix into the tin and gently spread out with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- In the meantime, place the remaining 75g of plums in a small bowl with 140g caster sugar and the juice of 1 lemon and mix through. Poke the cake all over with a skewer and spoon over the fruit. Leave in the tin until the cake is cool and the drizzle topping is crisp, enjoy!