Category: Cake Time, Summer Days
Cooking Method: Baking
Yields: 8 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 20 Mins Cook Time: 1 Hr Total Time: 1 Hr 20 Mins
This is a lovely light and easy strawberry cake recipe with fresh strawberries baked into the batter. The perfect cake for a summers day!
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C Fan/Gas mark 3 and grease and line a 23 cm loose bottom cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Now add the eggs, and gently fold through the flour, milk, ground almonds and almond essence and mix until fully combined. Gently stir through the strawberries but leave a handful to scatter on the top of the batter.
- Place the mixture into the cake tin and add the remaining strawberries onto the top of the cake. Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until when pierced with a skewer it comes out clean. If not place in the oven for a further 5 - 10 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes and then remove from the tin and place onto a wire rack. Sprinkle with icing sugar. It is best served when slightly warm. Enjoy!
- This cake also works well with a variety of summer fruits; raspberries, blackberries or a mixture.