Category: Cake Time, Picnic Time, Summer Days
Cooking Method: Baking
Yields: 8 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 20 Mins Cook Time: 20 Mins Total Time: 40 Mins
This Victoria sponge cake recipe combines strawberries and cream and is the perfect easy bake for afternoon tea. Simplicity at its best!
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5. Grease and line the base of two 20cm sandwich tins.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla extract until you have a creamy consistency.
- Beat the eggs gradually by adding one egg at a time and add a spoonful of flour with each egg.
- Now fold in the remaining flour and baking powder until fully combined.
- Divide the mix between the cake tins, place into the oven and bake for about 20 mins until risen and golden brown. The cakes should spring back when gently pushed in the middle.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes and then place on a wire rack to fully cool.
- Spread the strawberry jam on to one of the cakes and top with the whipped cream. Sandwich the cakes together and dust with icing sugar. Enjoy!