Yields: 6 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 45 Mins Cook Time: 1 Hr Total Time: 1 Hr 45 Mins
This hearty beef and potato pie is an ideal family meal on a cold evening. Serve with buttery mash and seasonal vegetables or it tastes just as good by itself with a good dollop of brown sauce.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil and gently fry the onion and carrots until softened. Add the beef and cook until browned, then reduce the heat and add the tomato ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Marmite, flour and seasoning - mix through for one minute.
- Add the potato and pour over 150ml water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato is tender. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, roll out the short crust pastry to 4mm thick and line a pie dish, leave the excess pastry hanging over the edge and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes..
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Add the cooled filling ingredients to the lined pie dish, then roll out the remaining pastry for the lid. Dampen the edge with of the pastry with milk then place the pastry lid on top of the pie and press the edges well to seal. Use a fork to pierce the top and decorate with trimmings, brush with with milk. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve the pie with buttery mash and seasonal vegetables or it tastes just as good by itself with a good dollop of brown sauce, enjoy!