Yields: 6 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 20 Mins Cook Time: 1 Hr 15 Mins Total Time: 1 Hr 35 Mins
A very homely and comforting meal that makes an extremely tasty supper! Delicious!!
- Heat half of the oil in a heavy based large pan on a medium heat. Season the mince and fry half until brown all over. Put into a colander aside to drain the fat from the meat, repeat with the remaining mince.
- Add the remainder of the olive oil to a large pan and place on a medium heat. When hot fry the onions, garlic, carrots and thyme for 8-10 minutes until soft and golden. Add the browned mince and tomato puree, stir constantly for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the Guinness and Worcestershire sauce and boil until the liquid has been reduced by half. Pour in the stock and return to the boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C/Gas mark 6. Meanwhile, add the potatoes to a pan of salted water bring the pan to the boil and cook until tender. Dry out the potatoes in a hot pan for 15-20 seconds. Pass the potatoes through a potatoes ricer or mash smoothly, mix in the butter, cheese and egg yolk. Season to taste.
- Spoon the mince mixture into a 1.5 litre oven proof dish. Spoon the mashed potato on top and rough the surface with a folk. Grate some Parmesan cheese over the top and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown. Enjoy!
- You can replace the Guinness with red wine.