Yields: 10 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 10 Mins Total Time: 20 Mins
This scone recipe is the ultimate afternoon tea treat – they are light & fluffy and very easy to make.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/Gas mark 7 and place a baking tray in the oven.
- In a large bowl place the flour, salt and baking powder and mix through. Add the butter and rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the ground almonds and caster sugar.
- Put the milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for about 30 secs until warm, but not hot. Now add the lemon juice and almond essence, set aside.
- Make a well in the dry mix, then add the milk mixture and combine it quickly with a cutlery knife. Now add the cherries and combine. Scatter some flour onto the work surface and tip the dough out. Dredge the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother. Pat into a round about 4cm deep.
- Use a 5cm smooth cutter dipped in flour to stamp out rounds and repeat. You may need to press what’s left of the dough back into a round to cut out more scones. Brush the tops with a beaten egg, then carefully place onto the hot baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes until well risen and golden. Serve warm or cold on the day of baking, generously topped with lashings of jam and clotted cream. Enjoy!
- If freezing, freeze once cool. Defrost, then put in a low oven - 160°C/140°C Fan/Gas mark 3 for a few mins to refresh.