Category: Baking Days, Sweet Treats
Cooking Method: Baking
Yields: 12 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 25 Mins Total Time: 40 Mins
This wonderful gingerbread originated in the Lake District, it is crunchy, chewy and spicy a cross between a flapjack and shortbread!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/gas mark 4.
- Place the flour, oatmeal, sugar, ground ginger and baking powder into a food processor. Pulse a few times until all the ingredients are combined. Add the butter and blend until you have a fine powder. Remove 4 tablespoons of crumbs and set aside.
- Add the stem ginger to the processor and blend until fully combined. Tip the mixture into a greased 20cm square tin and with the back of a spoon press into an even layer and sprinkle the crumbs on top.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cut into squares or rectangles, leave to cool completely then store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
These are delicious! I made them for the first time today. I subbed 30g dried candied ginger slices that I chopped finely before adding to processor. Absolutely lovely! These will be a staple in our home!
Thank you so much for the comment. I am so pleased you enjoyed them. Think I’m going to have to make some more this week now. Have a great week!