Yields: 6 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 1 Hr Total Time: 1 Hr 15 Mins
This has to be the ultimate cauliflower cheese, it is rich, cheesy and bursting with flavour. An indulgent and extremely tasty – the perfect accompaniment to a roast.
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/Gas mark 7.
- Place cauliflower florets on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Roast in oven for 20 to 25 minutes until browned on edges. Shake baking tray occasionally to turn over cauliflower (or use tongs) so evenly roasted.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan melt the butter and oil, add the onions. Spread the onions out evenly over the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally. Heat gently over a low heat for 10 minutes. When onions are softened and tinged golden, add sugar and balsamic - this will start the caramelisation process. Cook onion over low heat for a further 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sticky and caramelised. Set aside to cool.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook over a gentle heat for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the milk, a little at a time, stirring well between each addition. Return the pan to a medium heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese and set aside.
- When the cauliflower is ready reduce the temperature of the oven to 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas mark 5.
- Add the cauliflower and caramelised onions to the cheese sauce and stir. Pour into a large pie dish or oven proof casserole dish. Top with extra cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes until top is browned. Enjoy!