Yields: 10 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 15 Mins Total Time: 30 Mins
Take your cheese scones to another level with the addition of caramelised onion! The most tasty savoury scone – best eaten warm with lots of butter!
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/Gas mark 7 and place a baking tray in the oven.
- Place the flour, baking powder and butter into a large bowl - rub in the butter with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the cheese and caramilsed onions.
- Make a well in the mix, then add the buttermilk and combine it quickly with a cutlery knife. Scatter some flour onto the work surface and tip the dough out. Dredge the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother. Pat into a round about 4cm deep.
- Use a 5cm smooth cutter dipped in flour to stamp out rounds and repeat. You may need to press what’s left of the dough back into a round to cut out more scones. Brush the tops with a beaten egg and sprinkle with grated cheese then carefully place onto the hot baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Serve warm or cold on the day of baking with lashings of butter. Enjoy!